Welcome to our SEND page (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities).
In 2014 a new Code of Practice was produced which sets out clear guidelines for young people with SEND, their families and the professionals who work with them.
At St Thomas More First School, we aim to work closely with our SEND pupils and their families to ensure they reach their full potential. Our SENDCO (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-Ordinator) is Mrs J Hicking:
There are 4 main areas of need although some children may have difficulties in more than one area:
1. Cognition and learning
2. Communication and interaction
3. Social, emotional and mental health
4. Sensory/physical needs.
If your child is placed on the SEND Register it is because they need some additional support. This may be for a short time or may indeed be long-term, depending on the child’s needs.
How would I know if my child is on the Register?
1. The class teacher will have spoken with you regarding concerns.
2. Following discussions with the SENDCO and observations some agreed strategies will be put into place.
3. A Personalised Learning Plan (PLP) will be drawn up.
4. A letter will then be sent to parents inviting you to meet with the class teacher (and SENDCO if you wish) to discuss the PLP.
5. Each term the PLP will be revised and a new one drawn up.
6. Each term parents will be invited to meet with the teacher and review the PLP and discuss the new one.
7. Any changes would be formally discussed with you in order to keep you as up to date as possible and to show you how you can help your child at home.
The Paediatric Occupational Therapy team, Worcestershire NHS Trust, are holding “Making Sense” Workshops for parents and carers of children with sensory differences. The workshop will provide information and strategies to help them understand and manage their child’s sensory differences. If you are interested in a place, please contact 01562 514520 to choose a venue and book a place. Details of the workshops in more detail can be found below: